Assistant Technical Director
Theatre Memphis is seeking a Staff Assistant Technical Director. The ATD serves as the lead carpenter for all productions and assists with scheduling, management, and execution of all technical elements. Applicants should have prior experience in CAD, scenery construction, metalworking, and stage rigging techniques. Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes nights and weekends. Must be comfortable working at heights and working independently, in groups, and with volunteers. Opportunities in design are available for additional compensation based on interest. This is a full-time, year-round staff position with health insurance, 401k, paid vacation, sick leave, and a guaranteed one-week Christmas break. Theatre Memphis is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace and onstage.
Duties of the Assistant Technical Director:
- Attends some production meetings, designer runs, and technical rehearsals, in order to assist in the supervision of all technical aspects of mounting the production
- To assist shop leadership in the construction of each production set
- Assists in determining construction methods, schedules, materials, and mechanics for the building and painting of each set
- Assists in producing construction drawings, as needed.
- Assists in the supervision and construction of the set
- Ensure proper functioning and safety of all moving scenic elements
- Assists in supervising the installation and striking of each set, including all rigging and mechanical devices.
- Assists in the supervision and training of volunteers
- Assists the Scenic Charge Artist in the painting of the set, as needed
- Organizes, cleans, and maintains inventory in the scene shop and tools
- Assists in planning, testing, and building special effects
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects
- Comfortable with working independently
- Punctuality, attention to detail, and a positive attitude is a must
- Salary $32,000
- 2 affordable health insurance plans to choose from
- The majority of health insurance premiums will be paid by Theatre Memphis
- Dental plan
- 401k plan available
- 1 week of flexible paid vacation time plus guaranteed paid time off Dec 24th to Jan 2nd
- Paid time off for major holidays
- Working alongside a dedicated full-time team of skilled artists
About Theatre Memphis
Theatre Memphis is a well-established theatre, staffed with talented professionals who produce high-quality work with a community theatre’s affable spirit. We seek to engage diverse and energetic teams that comprise many shapes, sizes, colors, genders and ages. At 100 years of continuous production, Theatre Memphis produces 11 shows in 2 spaces per year in the growing arts community of Memphis, TN. Our Lohrey Stage has seating for 412 patrons, boasts a 32’ wide 25’ deep proscenium stage, and is equipped with 40 double purchase linesets and a hydraulic orchestra lift. The Next Stage is a 40’x40’ flexible 80 to 100 seat black box. In the heart of the Mid-South, Memphis is only 3 hours away from Nashville and Little Rock and a short drive to several state and national recreation areas. Enjoy all of the benefits of working in a large city with a close-knit arts community and low cost of living. Be a part of the dedicated team leading Theatre Memphis into its second century.
Send cover letter, resume, and references to Production Manager Michael Compton, email@example.com.