Assistant Stage Management
All internships are unpaid. Interns, age 16 and up, are accepted year round at Theatre Memphis and assignments are made based on work available and the applicant's skill level. Work is at least 20 hours per week, for 8-9 weeks (this includes rehearsal time). Most internship hours will be fulfilled Monday through Friday, between the hours of 6 PM and 11 PM and Saturday & Sundays between 1 PM and 11 PM. Intern will adhere to the stage manager’s manual of Theatre Memphis. Intern will attend every rehearsal and performance of the production and will act as floor manager for the production during tech and performance. ASM may communicate needs of show through rehearsal and performance reports to the Production Stage Manager. ASM may facilitate appointments and see to needs of design team and cast. Intern will report directly to the Show Stage Manager and Production Stage Manager/Volunteer Coordinator.
Resume and/or cover letter should reflect skills in some detail, giving appropriate instances of how the applicant has exercised relevant skills.
- Work independently
- Detail oriented
- Follows direction well
- Work efficiently
- Good people skills
- Extremely well organized
- Able to take accurate notes in shorthand in a very timely manor
- Work well under pressure
- Able handle a great amount of responsibility
Intern Duties & Responsibilities may include:
- Keeping a personal journal of your internship experience
- Assisting the Stage Manager in all areas of rehearsal, tech, & performance
- Managing backstage activities and crew during tech rehearsals and performances
- Attending all rehearsals and performances (evenings and weekends, 5-6 days per week for up to 3 months)
- Other duties assigned at the discretion of the Show Stage Manager.
For more information, please contact Ashley J. Nickas.
Click here to apply for an internship.