All internships are unpaid and last for a period of no less than 160 hours. Interns, age 16 and up, are accepted year round at Theatre Memphis. Some internship schedules are flexible, depending on the intern's availability, time of year, needs of the theatre at that time, and the department within which the internship is based. Work is at least 20 hours per week, for a period of at least 8 weeks. Most internship hours will be fulfilled Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9 AM and 5 PM. Intern will report directly to the Costume Designers and secondarily to the Volunteer Coordinator.
Resume and/or cover letter should reflect skills in some detail, giving appropriate instances of how the applicant has exercised relevant skills.
- Work independently
- Detail oriented
- Follow directions well
- Work efficiently
- Hand stitching
- Machine sewing
- Constructing from pattern
Intern Duties & Responsibilities may include:
- Keeping a personal journal of your internship experience
- Assisting with the pulling of costumes, shoes, accessories, etc. for productions
- Assisting with the organization of the Costume Shop, show bibles, production racks, etc.
- Maintaining costumes throughout the run by tending to show notes, repairs, etc.
- Production laundry (washing, drying, ironing, & steaming)
- Stitching: alterations & builds as assigned
- Helping to guide the volunteer stitchers through their assignments (answering questions and hands on help, which can require a lot of multitasking)
- Craft-work as assigned: millinery, cobblery, metal-work, leather-work, etc.
- Stock Organization: re-stocking & some re-organizing.
- Helping to maintain the fitting/dressing rooms.
- Other projects as assigned
For more information, please contact Ashley J. Nickas.
Click here to apply for an internship.