Scenery & Props Internship
All internships are unpaid and last for a period of no less than 160 hours. Interns, age 16 and up, are accepted year round at Theatre Memphis. Some internship schedules are flexible, depending on the intern’s availability, time of year, needs of the theatre at that time, and the department within which the internship is based. Work is at least 20 hours per week, for a period of at least 8 weeks. Most internship hours will be fulfilled Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9 AM and 5 PM. Intern will report directly to the Scenic Designer & Technical Director and secondarily to the Volunteer Coordinator.
Resume and/or cover letter should reflect skills in some detail, giving appropriate instances of how the applicant has exercised relevant skills.
- Work independently
- Detail oriented
- Follow directions well
- Work efficiently
- Basic – Advanced carpentry
- Basic – Advanced painting
- Basic – Advanced crafting and fabric work
- Knowledge of welding a plus
- Prior scenery construction and design education or experience is a plus, but if a candidate does not have prior experience, they may still be considered if they have a good work ethic, are willing and able to learn, have sufficient time to devote to learning the proper skills.
Intern Duties & Responsibilities may include:
- Keeping a personal journal of your internship experience
- Assisting with set and props construction
- Base painting constructed pieces (possible detail & finish painting for advanced painters)
- Inventory organization
- Attending production meetings
- Other projects as assigned
For more information, please contact Ashley J. Nickas.
Click here to apply for an internship.