Company Audition for ShoWagon Teaching Artists
Theatre Memphis’ ShoWagon is seeking four teaching artists to fulfill the duties of the Department of Outreach and Education’s 2018-2019 season. These are part time, paid positions. ShoWagon is Theatre Memphis’ professional touring/teaching troupe which has performed around the MidSouth for over 30 years. As part of the Department of Outreach and Education, ShoWagon seeks to educate, entertain, empower and serve the youth, adults, and typically overlooked audiences of the Mid South by engaging our community’s creativity and imagination through theatrical training, performances, and collaborations. Deadline to submit application materials will be Monday, August 6th by 5 p.m. Auditions will be by invitation only after all applications are received at a time that is agreeable to all applicants.
If interested, send all questions or application material to Lena Wallace Black at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Duties will include:
- Auditioning for, rehearsing, and performing in the daytime production of A Christmas Carol on the Lohrey Stage at Theatre Memphis.
- Rehearsing and performing a touring production that will be available for presentation throughout the spring semester, including the Memphis Children’s Theatre Festival
- Leading groups of students and mentors as part of the Grizzlies Team Mentoring Program and writing and directing scripts for finale performances of the project
- Being available to aid with any and all classes, camps, workshops, auditions, residencies, and projects taken on throughout the school year by the Department of Outreach and Education
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older
- A degree in Theatre or Education is not required, but preferred
- No formal teaching experience is required, but a strong desire to teach and ability to handle oneself amongst children in a classroom setting is a must
- Strong performance skills essential
- Must have a reliable form of transportation to get to and from Theatre Memphis and other areas of town when required
- Potential operator of the company vehicle must have a clean driving record.
- Must possess a strong sense of leadership and responsibility
- Must be consistently prepared and prompt for all call times
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Performance resume
- Letter of recommendation
- Letter of interest from applicant
- In person audition
- Projected list of conflicts from August 2018 to May 2019
- Position pays $10 per hour for most assignments, including travel time for group performances and activities; some projects may be compensated with a stipend instead of an hourly wage.
- A flexible schedule is a must. You may have other part time jobs and be in other performances around town simultaneously, however, you must commit to ShoWagon being your first and foremost commitment and be available for all performances, rehearsals, teaching sessions, etc. A contract will be signed honoring this commitment, and termination will be considered upon breach of contract.
- All scheduling matters will be set in stone at least two weeks in advance. If last minute offerings become available, they will only be required of the group or individuals if they are available for the project upon receiving notice.
- Night and weekend commitments are seldom, but will be required a few times throughout the year with plenty of notice.
- Schedules are drastically different depending on the time of year and the projects in progress at any given time. Some weeks will have many opportunities to gain hours while others may have none at all.
- A professional, friendly attitude must be exhibited amongst the group, as well as around students and teachers in all settings in order to represent ShoWagon and TM in a positive manner at all times.
Theatre Memphis is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization located at 630 Perkins Extended (corner of Perkins Extended and Southern) and is a community theatre whose mission is to provide outstanding theatrical experiences to enrich the lives of our audiences and participants.
Theatre Memphis receives season sponsorship and funding from: First Tennessee Foundation/ArtsFirst, The Jeniam Foundation, ArtsMemphis and Tennessee Arts Commission.
We are looking to hire several sound designers, in order to round out the staffs for the 2018-19 Season.
- Possible candidates will be capable of designing and implementing sound effects required for the show.
- The sound designer should have evening and weekend availability during the one week technical rehearsal process. (They are not needed to run the show for performances.)
- The designer would preferably be available to attend periodic 45-60 minute long work week meetings.
- All design work and other preparation would not need to be done at theatre, but designers must be able to meet deadlines and exhibit their progress periodically.
- Sound designers are contracted on a per show basis. The total hours of work and corresponding compensation hinge on the design needs of the show. Sound needs for our production range from a couple hours of research and prep work to many hours of research, prep, and building complex cues.
- Stipend and programming needs will be discussed with all applicants whose resume shows adequate experience.