Ushers fulfill a variety of duties before the show, at intermission, and after the show. Duties may include:
- Greeting patrons and giving them their tickets at will call.
- Greeting patrons and handing them a program.
- Greeting patrons and helping them find their assigned seats.
- Selling concessions before the show and at intermission.
- Picking up small liter in the house after the show.
The usher schedule is very flexible. You may volunteer for any performance on the schedule for which ushers are still needed. In general, days and times are Thu-Sat 6:30-10:30 PM and Sun 1:00-5:00 PM. You can volunteer several times on one show or choose different shows. Ushers are given a brief orientation every time they volunteer. As a bonus, anytime there are open seats in the house, ushers are invited to watch the show for free. All of our active ushers are put on the usher email updates list. Our Usher Coordinator, Kaitlin Brucker, manages the usher schedule for all performances. Kaitlin will send an email requesting ushers about two weeks before a show opens. She’ll continue to send updates and emails until the usher schedule for that show has been completed. Current and upcoming usher opportunities are also always listed on this page. (See below.) Registered volunteers can sign-up to usher at any time for any show that has an open sign-up.
- In consideration of the current CDC and Shelby County Health Department guidelines for mask-wearing, we have a mask optional policy for all volunteers. For the foreseeable future, all ushers have the discretion to wear (or not wear) a face mask that fully covers the nose and mouth while on duty.
- Ushers age 12-15 must be accompanied by an ushering adult.
- Ushers must follow the dress code. (See Usher Guidelines)
- Have a positive attitude, conducting themselves with courtesy and consideration.
- Have a helpful, friendly demeanor and be able to deal with a cross-section of personalities.
- Remain calm in sometimes stressful situations.
- Follow Theatre guidelines and accept supervision graciously, having a willingness to perform various tasks or positions as assigned or requested by the House Manager or Theatre Management.
- **Special Note for ushers who will be submitting time to receive community service hours. – We do not grant partial hours. You must serve your full shift to receive credit for your hours.
Already a registered usher?
Check out these upcoming usher opportunities or update your current commitments:
Here are the registration links for the 22-23 season:
Guys and Dolls – (August 19 – September 11, 2022) https://cerv.is/0166×153
Much Ado About Nothing – (September 16 – October 2, 2022) https://cerv.is/0166×154
Arsenic and Old Lace – (October 14 – 30, 2022) https://cerv.is/0166×155
Immediate Family – (November 4 – 19, 2022) https://cerv.is/0166×157
A Christmas Carol – (December 2 – 23, 2022) https://cerv.is/0166×156
Sondheim Tribute – (January 13 – 29, 2023) https://cerv.is/0166×158
Macbeth – (February 3 – 19, 2023) https://cerv.is/0166×159
The Play That Goes Wrong – (March 3 – 26, 2023) https://cerv.is/0166×160
Mrs. Mannerly – (March 31 – April 16, 2023) https://cerv.is/0166×162
Sherlock’s Last Case – (April 21 – May 7, 2023) https://cerv.is/0166×163
Mary Poppins – (June 9 – July 2, 2023)https://cerv.is/0166×164